It's been almost 1 year since Operative.Online Tactics was released for free as a mobile web game. Since then, a lot has happened:
- I received a lot of feedback! Thank you!
- I've wowed players and gotten a lot of compliments. THANK YOU! 😁
- I've learned tricks, details, and subtleties about the game I've made that I did not know when I made it. This is really cool IMHO.
- I've had a ton of ideas for improving the game, and for expanding the Operative.Online universe
- I've set up a wiki on Fandom for Operative.Online Tactics where I hope to round out details about the game, the universe lore, and let you contribute as well!
And now, the big reveal: my plans for OOT.
My next move with Operative.Online is to re-write Tactics using an open web-based game engine so I can expand the game and improve it. As much as I love PICO-8 because of how it helped me focus on shipping a product and keeping things simple, I now have a solid foundation to build on and I want to expand beyond PICO-8's capabilities. So, building on an engine that has less limitations is my immediate goal.
With this newfound freedom, I plan to add many features that were missing from the v1x0001 release, as well as rethinking some of the tricky parts of the existing game.
I have plans for visual improvements, UI updates (that are desperately needed) and new mechanics:
- Improved difficulty system with more clear explanation of how it works (which is non-existant at the moment)
- New visual cues for long and short range
- New visual cues for difficulty system
- Consumable and permanent upgrades purchasable with Phoenix Bonds
- Additional dedicated equipment slot
- Revamped sneak/breach system
- Revamped AP system that rewards action instead of waiting around for AP to recharge
- New stealth system that supports silenced weapons but keeps loud weapons relevant and useful
- New unlocks with Phoenix Bonds
- New equipment items (the drone!)
- New mission types with more interesting gameplay modifications
- Adjusted weapon bonuses
- Touch-friendly UI, ditching the gameboy-style buttons
- Tutorial missions that are fun
- Scenario missions
- Seeded missions
- New icon visuals to make things more comprehensible
- ARCH AI will assist the operative
All of these things are obviously subject to change but I feel strongly that all of them are needed improvements.
Join me on this journey and let's make OOT v2 an amazing game that rewards TACTICS above all else!